Functional Safety Systems
“…avoiding accidents should not be understood as regulation by law, but should be an imperative of human responsibility and economic rationality…”
Werner von Siemens
Functional Safety is the management of the lifecycle of a Safety System design to ensure the system is Functionally Safe throughout its operational life from cradle to grave.
Proeon provides support and implementation of IEC61508 and IEC61511, the International standards for Functional Safety of Electrical/Electronic/Programmable Electronic Safety Related Systems. Proeon provides expertise in developing Functional Safety systems that allows us to provide support from product design to performance and safety assessments.
Functional Safety is applicable to all industries and is increasingly in demand as manufacturers and end users look to further mitigate risk. The Functional Safety services provided by Proeon include:
- Provision of safety systems for machinery and process industries up to SIL 2 / SIL 3.
- Support to clients seeking to meet particular directives, requirements or recommendations from industry organizations, insurers, or regulatory bodies
- Product designers and businesses looking to ensure product safety
- Independent certifying service for IEC 61508 compliant systems supplied by third parties
Systems that are required to comply with the Functional Safety standards are used in industries such as : Industrial machinery, Process control, Hazardous Locations, appliances, medical, transportation, utilities, chemical and pharmaceutical.
Examples of Functional Safety systems provided by Proeon have included Fire & Gas systems for offshore platforms and network safety systems for Catenary tubing. Systems are designed and built using appropriate hardware and software tools from suppliers such as; Siemens, Rockwell Automation, and Scame Sistemi.
Safety systems have evolved since their introduction in the 1960s and now have to comply with the requirements of IEC 61508 and the derivative application standards. Proeon can assist with the review of existing systems and identify areas of improvement to demonstrate compliance with current standards.
Proeon partner with a number of associated companies to provide a broader range of Functional Safety services including:
- Process Hazard Assessment
- Functional Safety Assessments
- Safety Requirements Specifications
- Quantitative Risk Assessment
- SIL Determination
- SIL Verification
- SIS Conceptual Design
Contact us for more information.